Sunday, September 12, 2010

Stake Conference Weekend..





This weekend was stake conference and there were a few topics that really struck a cord in me..and I feel the need to record what was said for my own looking back reference sort of purpose!!


We need not prepare the path for our children, instead prepare our children for the path.





What a simple yet amazing statement. I am amazed at how often as parents we prepare the path..we set our children up for things..events, activities, choices..yet are not teaching them what they really need to know. If we clear the path for them, kill the snakes, move the boulders.. what happens when we no longer are there to forge the way. They will not know how to kill the snakes or get around the boulders. We cannot expect them to make the right choices..or even the choices we would like them to make, if they have never been taught to make those choice or even choose a certain path. Now I am not saying my children are perfect ..in fact I know we make many mistakes, but I want them to understand that the road is in front, but that they have to make and understand decisions. We do not do activities outside of church on Sunday, it is the Sabbath, and we try and honor the best way our family can. Last Sunday..as Clay was recovering from surgery and I was sick..we opted to stay home.. I was impressed with the kids as they realized it was Sunday, and I am not saying my kids LOVE going to church, but they knew it was where they needed to be. They understand its important, whether they love it or not, we have prepared them and not the road. I think we miss the big picture sometimes. My kids have missed out on activities, birthday parties, games..etc because we have chosen not to participate on a Sunday. It has not limited them in any way shape or form. Instead it has instilled a reverence for that day. I was not given an child from the NBA or Wimbledon etc.., but instead from God and will raise them to that. Saying No on Sunday is not easy, but it is one day a week when everything around us stops.. and we focus on family, games, movies, time together. The talks in Stake Conference on Saturday and on Sunday were such a reinforcement, and a reminder of what is important. Sitting in Conference the topics of Missionaries was discussed.. it starts to freak me out because Broderick is not far off from that. My only hope as these next 5 years fly..I know they will..that we continue to add knowledge to his understanding..that the choice is there, but the expectation and direction will be what puts him on that path. We all have a lot of learning and growing to do, we will stumble and fall..but He never said it would be easy, he only said it'd be worth it.

1 comments:

Marissa said...

Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing.