Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My father wrote this for Clay and I on our wedding day and I found it while going through some papers in our office. Thought I would share it.. hope you enjoy it!


A Mountain

Ahead there lies a mountain, a mountain that seems so high
No one could possibly climb it, so why bother to even try
You first begin to realize as you get closer to the base
That the climb to the top will take you to a wonderful place
But the trail looks rough and rocky and wanders here and there
Are you up to the challenge, is it a journey you even dare?
There are those who try and fail who warn of all the toil
Who scoff and jeer at those who try and seek the higher goal
You've found someone to climb with you and share the load to the top
Who will lead, who will follow, walk hand in hand and not give up and stop
The journey is long and full of change with valleys of despair
To peaks of such great joy and sights that you must share
As you two join hand in hand and start to climb the trail
Hold on tight and stay together, with God you cannot fail
Be ready to lead, be ready to follow and be ready to walk side by side
And always let your Heavenly Father be your eternal guide
But the goal is not the mountain top with its beautiful view to share
But the journey of two who travel with love, who hope and dream and care.

5 comments:

Bex said...

That was so wonderful! You're dad has quite the way with words! what a wonderful gift for your day!

Marissa said...

That is so sweet. I love it!

Elder and Sister Struempler said...

I couldn't find my original copy of this. I am glad you posted this so I could bring my files up-to-date.

Leah said...

Wow, not only is your Dad SO talented, but so very wise and inspired as well. We are SO nieve when we get married. This poem wouldn't have meant as much to me on my wedding day as it does now knowing the ups and downs of married life. I love the lines "share the load to the top" and "to peaks of great joy and sights that you must share" and "hold on tight". So beautifully said. Love it! You go, Dad!

April said...

What a wonderful find and a great reminder.