Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Therapy Post.. more for me to get it off my mind..

I am freaking out a little, and maybe getting if off my chest will help, in addition we all know me, or at least the few that read this know me, and know that I really don't keep anything in. Open book..that's me, the good the bad you get it all. So here ya go with this one!! I set time lines for myself, I really think everyone does in one way or another, but I can get very specific on things. I have loved my life, raising children and having a job teaching fitness classes. I have always said that when Reagan starts kindergarten I want to get into personal training and teach a little bit more. Not because I want a job that brings in $$ though it doesn't hurt, but I really do love the fitness environment, I love to learn about the latest and greatest methods of exercise, I love that people will listen and turn to me for advice and lets face it ..I love to socialize with people. So.. that being said wow..look at the time.. Reagan starts Kindergarten in Aug. wow.. that's a whole other post about where did that 5 years go?? So with that I have stewing in the back of my mind..I want to do more at work.. now I have been with my current job since we moved here 7 1/2 years ago..crazy.. and was with the same group for 2 years before that. I love the.. place the village people sing about.. Y.. its been good to me, however with a non-profit org. and with the economy being so strong..haha.. there are more cut backs then adding toos. I have expressed interest to all supervisors, but when there are no hours to give..there are none for me to take. Which is sad but true. I had to give up all but one class this last year because Reagan's preschool started at 9 and I taught at 8:30.. so this last year I have been playing..tennis..alot and having a lot of fun.. but once again..true to what I have said..I want to do more.

I am checking my email one day..and I get an email... from we'll say 25 hour fitness..wink wink.. I tried their week pass a while back, but can not stomach paying for a gym membership when I can get it for free when I work at one. Clay however did join..he likes the 25 hours its open. I get their emails with their latest offers and deals. Then one day there is an email..would you like to join our team.. we are looking for Personal Trainers!! Bing bing...wow.. right in my in box..no looking around, and no excuses. So I clicked on the link, filled out the application, and conjured up a resume. Figured whatever happens happens..and the ball starts rolling!!

I got a follow up email from the Group X fitness director for the area..they hold auditions for all Group X instructors where you go and demonstrate 20 mins of your class format. I missed the June audition and was planning on the July audition. Ok..awesome. Take it easy..move forward. Then I get a call from the Fitness director for the club here..he wants to interview me for the personal trainer job. Wow.. can't tell you the last time I interviewed.. okay I can ..I took a job at a new Lifesomething Fitness Center here when I was pregnant with Reagan.. so about 6 years ago..but that was just for teaching classes..not something new and to be honest a bit out of my skill zone. I was so nervous..I know that I am not certified to be a personal trainer, I have a lot of the general knowledge, but just need to fine tune it. That I know. I have my bachelors degree in Phys. Ed.. which has helped a ton. But not a specific Personal Trainer Cert. I have looked in to the personal trainer classes before, but the investment into those classes just didn't seem worth it at the time. Its all about the right time. Well.. needless to say 2 hours later going over everything and then some..I was offered a position as a Hybrid employee..which apparently is a bit rare and something they really want to hire. I am/will be a certified personal trainer and group X instructor. Usually you are one or the other..not a lot of people will do both..and to be honest I can kind of see why..its a lot of training.. you have to be trained in all your class formats..and then you have to have to be a Certified Personal Trainer.. so that's where this comes in...

Welcome to the rest of my summer.. oh it makes my brain hurt just skimming through 3 huge... books and work books. The task is a bit overwhelming..I love to learn ..and a class room setting is unrealistic for me, and to be honest most of these courses are online without a classroom option anyway. So it looks like my pool side reading this summer will be my certification stuff.. could be worse I guess? I am overwhelmed..to say the least, but I know its what I want, so I am excited too!! Like I said before I have skimmed the surface for years with my group fitness training..and I loved anatomy which also has been a huge part of my re-certification classes as well so its not at all foreign..just not as specific as I need. Its change.. and change is good right?

So I have always and will continue to adopt this can do attitude!! I met again this week..to go through more paperwork and discuss my schedule..ideally I would love to work Tuesday and Thursday from 8 - 2..however.. my new boss is very excited about me joining his team and feels that a Monday - Friday schedule would serve everyone better.. okay.. panic/freakout/ stress.. ahh.. I don't want to work the entire time my kids are in school..when will I get the basic stuff done..laundry, cleaning, bills, grocery shopping..not to mention the fun stuff like tennis, lunches, pedis.etc..I know..most of that is not necessary. So we tentatively agreed upon 4 days 8-2 with one 8-11 day.. realistically I am thinking I can give 3 8-2 days and 2 8-11 days..I mean I am not looking to support my family..and yet on the other hand.. with Clays new adventure..to pull my own weight around here is helpful. Ah.. once again.. my head starts spinning.. and I have to take big deep breaths..one day at a time. I can't help but feel blessed that this is all falling into place like this. The timing of it all has worked out very smoothly. I have the summer to work on my class which I can do while still having fun with the kiddos.. I have time this summer to do all the new hire and group X training.. so I can start teaching group classes ..then add in the personal training once I pass the test. Its just such a huge commitment compared to my few hours.. a leap from a few hours a week to 25 hours a week. Okay..that doesn't sound so painful!! I am thrilled for this new opportunity, its what I have always wanted, its just time to put it into action.
So there.. my rambling put out there..like I said..helps me breath a little bit better, I should be grateful that I have found a place that will work with my school hours. No nights, no weekends. I can get the kids off to school.. and will be done in time to pick them up! I know my hours won't be as many at first because it will take time to build my clientele, and I guess I can be as busy as I want to be scheduled. They have 3 levels of trainers.. and because of my degree I start at a level 2 already..woo hoo..now that is nicer pay scale too!! I know it doesn't sound horrible, it just sounds very busy, but that is me..and I like to stay busy. I am hoping that between teaching a few classes, training and helping on the floor..it will be mixed up enough to enjoy it all. Clay and I have talked about it a lot..he is such a slave driver..just kidding.. he wants me to be happy, and he knows I love this. I am doing it..and I figured if its too much I'll cut back and if it doesn't work out I don't have to do it. Its nice to have his support as I pursue what I enjoy, and I think if this works out.. I may even splurge and hire someone to clean my house..I know..that will be the day!!

5 comments:

Bex said...

I am soooooo excited for you!!! When you're all done and trained I'll come and work out on Wed. with you...make sure it's a fun class though. ;)
Congratulations! It's a big step but I know you can do it and excel at it..You do at everything you try. Let me know if you need anything, and we can study together. Hurray for summer.

Kristi Clinger said...

WAHOOO! You'll do great! Congrats for going for what you want. A great example to your kids.

Leah said...

How exciting! I hope they can cut your hours a little or maybe to 4 days a week. It sounds like the time commitment is your main concern. It would be mine too! Good luck with your new adventure!

Amy said...

Wow, that was a lot of reading.

You'll do great though...just like everything else you do.

April said...

You will be great! I'm sure the time thing will all work out in the end. I just wish you were closer, so you could train me!
Also, with ALL of our kids in school this year, you need to have at least one day off per month to meet up with me...