Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm ready..

A little over 13 years ago Clay and I had graduate from BYU and were both working in SLC, we moved into a nice little 2 bedroom townhome, and found out we would be expecting a baby in June..wow how time flies. We lived in a great neighborhood in the foothills of SLC, and had a great neighborhood and friends. I had one friend in particular, Lisa W. she lived a few houses down, and was having her 3rd baby when I was expecting my first. She was my mentor, she taught me how to nurse a baby, to handle all the stuff I was new at. She also taught me to run. I was never really a runner before this. My roommate and I my freshman year would run, but it wasn't very far,and with the snow at Ricks.. it didn't last long. I was always more of a swimmer, but anyway..Lisa taught me to run, to get up early before the hubs had to be off to work and to run, well jog and run. I know we discussed a lot of issues and I learned a lot on those runs, and maybe that's why I run. She got me running in my first 5 K about 7 weeks after Broderick was born, it was hard, it felt like forever and that my insides would fall out, but crossing the finish line with my baby in my husbands arms.. well it was an accomplishment I was proud of. Lisa put in me the desire to run a marathon. She talked about it, and I believe has accomplished it herself!

I ran here and there when we lived in CA..but no races..sad cause it would of been a great place to do races, but I was training in motherhood and working on baby number 2. Then we moved to Kansas City, and we lived in a great neighborhood with great friends again and a wonderful running trail nearby. We started walking the malls with our stroller brigade and then one friend, Kristen, and I decided to take it to the next level. I think we signed up for a 10k.. a 4th of July 10k if I can find the hat that says so..wanna say it was 2002. We found it challenging, but decided to find a half marathon. We found one in St. Joseph MO. I will say that as much as I love to run, I do not run on Sundays. I have found for me, it truly is a day of rest. My children do not participate in games or parties on Sundays and I am no exception, that being said, it is very difficult to find Saturday races. Most major races are Sunday..and so we would have to travel about 3 hours north to run this half marathon. I am grateful for friends who may not have the same conviction, but support me in this! Anyway, we trained, with her yellow lab along for the run! Once again, conversations of child raising, and marriage, and the worlds problems were solved in the wee hours of the mornings on these runs. I think the idea of team work, of doing it with someone really gets me going. Supporting each other and helping each other, its something I like!

So in Sept. 2002 we ran our first half marathon. We were proud and it felt good to do it. We moved to Texas a few months later.. I will say we got a chocolate lab, because I loved having Kristen's dog with us on those runs! We got a lab and bought a house on a jog trail..and life was good, and I had baby number 3, interferes in the training, but worth it. So I wanted to run a marathon by 30.. so 31 and baby number 3, made me think..I want to run a marathon in my 30's...there we go. So I found some friends, who liked to run and you guessed it.. we got up early and started doing races.. Texas half 2007 and The Cowtown half 2007. I finished each race with a real desire to want to do a full.. but so overwhelmed by the distance, time, commitment, time away from fam..etc.. you get it. I knew I wanted to..but the thought of running in the summer.. and then the search for a Sat.race argh..nothing to be found. Not to mention my friends are sane.. and really didn't want to run a full marathon, so I thought..when Reagan goes to Kindergarten I will have time to train.. I'll run in 2011..ah it easy to put off, and very daunting of a task.

This Dec, I was chatting with a friend who was running her first half marathon.. and I got thinking about it again.. and we signed up for the Texas Half in January yes a few weeks ago. I had been running during the week.. early morning therapy runs so I just needed to add in the long runs. We met up on Sat and ran.. and talked, well I did a lot of taking, venting, and running. We ran the half, but this time I decided to keep going.This time I would be going solo. Which has always .. always.. stopped me before. But this time, something switched in my head..and I figured I needed to do this for me. I wanted to do it, and couldn't convince my friends.. which I don't blame, but I wanted to so I was going to have to figure this out! Now 8 weeks is not a normal training time for a full.. but I checked my calendar, mapped out when I needed to do my long runs and I made bigger strides then suggested.. 10, 13, 14, 20 mile runs..but did it and felt great. I do run with a friend during the week.. she helped me move past my comfort zone. I have run 13.. just not by myself.. so I don't know why I stopped myself .. she would run half with me and then I would go on ..did my next 13 that way.. then I did 14 by myself and she joined and added a new fresh attitude and we finished my 20 together. She is going to be there at mile 20 and will jump in the last 6, to keep me going. I guess it gives me something to look forward to..and someone to help me in the end.

I have done a lot of research into nutrition and supplements, along with sprint and hill training to work the fast twitch muscle fibers, I have paced my runs to keep a steady pace. I have upped my water intake to avoid dehydration, got my gu to fuel every 4 miles, water, shoes, clothing..etc..I am ready. I am over 13 years ready, and as I plug through this week, I am focused on this goal, 26.2 and am impressed by the journey to get there.. the friends that have helped me along the way. My family that is constantly calling and asking about my runs, and encouraging me along the way. The support my husband and kids have given as I sneak away in the morning, miss out on our scripture study.. or disappear on Sat. for hours at a time to get my long runs in. All for a goal, 26.2 miles to finish, but every step I take on Saturday will be fueled by the love and support that surrounds me. I am excited to do this.. I know that must sound weird to most.. I am thrilled to push my body beyond what I ever have, to set new heights and know that with the right support, love, family, friends... you can accomplish anything!

3 comments:

S said...

WoW that was beautiful! Well thanks for the heads up. I will send good energy vibes your way this Saturday!! What you already have done is an awesome accomplishment. This is just the icing on the cake!

Good luck! Run like the wind! Or a soft gently breeze which ever works for you:)))))
Cant wait to hear the results!

Kristi Clinger said...

YEAH!!!!!!!
I can't believe you're going to finally do it. Lots of luck.

Leah said...

I am so inspired by you. To set goals like that is so exemplary. I never understood people that needed to run marathons. I didn't get it. And then one day on the treadmill I watched the documentary channel. It was a film that followed some first time marathoners and some pros. I cried and cried at the end while I was on that treadmill. Now I get it. To conquer the unconquerable. To achieve the impossible. If you can do this, you can do anything. Good luck and we all root for you, Rebecca!!!!