Sunday, February 28, 2010


I DID IT!!

I have been thinking of how to explain it.. I did it.. It was amazing! 26.2 miles, 4 hours 50 min. I did it, and it was a great experience!!!

I started training late in the game, 8 weeks is usually not the typical training time for a full, but I was already doing short runs pretty consistently, so I just needed to add some long runs in! A few 13 milers, a 14 and then a 20 mile run set me up for feeling good. I think the short training time kept my pace slower then I wanted.. 11 min. mile pace, rather then the 10 min. pace, but it also kept me from burning out, I took it slower but I did it!

I was able to catch a ride to Ft. Worth with a friend of a friends. There were 3 gals from my area heading down to do the half.. and what a fun group of girls!! They totally kicked butt in attitude and ability and I was so glad to join in on their positive vibes!!! I even tagged along with one amazing gal..Stephanie till the half and full split and it made an amazing difference to have the miles behind me before hitting the pavement alone!!!

I was told by few that the Cowtown is very hilly and to add to your time, cause the hills make you slower. I got to the 13.1 point.. 2 hours 20 min... pretty good.. but apparently slowed down after that. I did hit a mental check that made me think.. wow.. I have been going for 2 hours and I still have a LONG way to go, but I reached for a good luck charm my fellow ninja gave me(you totally rock)..that says 26.2 '10, and said to myself.. Rebecca this is it, its your race, this is your year, this is your marathon.. you are going to do it.. you've gotten this far.. no turning back!! That was the last of the doubt.. now there was shedding of layers as the 35 degree weather turned to 60 and sunny, but it was great. A beautiful day, and great crowds to cheer you on!! One poster had a pic of Chuck Norris and said.. "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon!!" that was awesome!! Then the one poster that got me fired up said.."Yesterday you were a runner.. today you are a marathoner!!" totally awesome!!!

Now I have great friends, not crazy enough to do the whole thing with me, but I think even more crazy than to come run in a race for me!! My friend Pam, came down and met me at mile 20 and we just took it home from there. I was so nice to have something to look forward to, and when she joined in..we joked.. hey good morning.. ready for a 6 mile run..just like our morning runs, as if I hadn't just done 20!! She had fresh conversation, and we chatted and ran, and ran, and ran!! What a great feeling. The support from those around me was as overwhelming as the ability that I had to keep running!! I think I got more choked up in the week prior.. till the finish line. We got with in sight and I saw Clay and the kids.. Pam joined Clay on the sidelines and the kids ran up to me.. I thought they were just cheering, but instead they ran the finish with me.. cheering.. Go Mommy.. then the crowed caught on.. GO MOM!! Way to go MOM.. that did it.. not easy to cry and run... actually, its not easy to run and not breath cause you are crying.. thankfully the finish line was right there!!! :) I crossed it.. I did.. 26.2 a Marathon. I did it. I wanted to, I said I would and I did!!!


So here's are the interesting facts..
Of the 1216 runners for the Marathon 31% were female 69% were male (Go Ladies!!)
54% of the women runners finished before me
The average time was 4 hours 50 min (I am so good with average!!)
Over the final 7.6 miles I passed 66 runners and was passed by 4
yea.. passed 66.. gotta be proud!!

So all in all... It was great.. I think my brother put it best when he said.. its like asking a mom that just gave birth to her baby.. would you have another.. but I think its the same thinking.. the joy of the finish.. the completion of a goal, the blood sweat and tears.. okay no blood for me in running, but all of it, given enough time, could be repeated...someday, just not right now!!!

10 comments:

Marissa said...

You're such a rock star. I got all teary eyed just reading it. Marathoners are amazing and now you can count yourself one of them. What an elite group you are part of! YAY!

Bex said...

I really can't tell you how amazingly proud I am of you! You're such an ispiration to your firends and especially your family. I wish I could have been there to watch you cross that line! You go girl or should I say GO MOM GO!!! Love ya girl.

Amber said...

Congrats!! That is awesome!!

S said...

So awesome RED!!!! Congrats. I am crying too, what a beautiful post. What a beautiful accomplishment. Wish I could have been there too:) I am not sure I would have "ran in" with you. But what an excellent idea!!! So proud! I am going to tell EVERYONE today!

I am a proud fan of RED on facebook:)

Amy said...

Seriously...awesome. Great job. Congrats. All of the above. You're amazing for many more reasons than just this. How fun to have your kids come finish with you.

April said...

Yea!!! What an accomplishment! I knew you could do it! How great to have the kids with you at the finish.

Kristi Clinger said...

I'm sure it was an amazing feeling to finish it and to finish with the people you love the most, your children. I'm in tears for you!
CONGRATS!

Jarom's Running Page said...

Wow Beccaaaaaa!!! I'm so happy for you, I know what it takes to train for and run your first ever marathon...I hope you do it again. I'm proud of you girl!!!

Jarom
http://www.JaromsRunningPage.blogspot.com

The Sabins said...

SUPER CONGRATS! Fantastic accomplishment...sounds like a great race and how great to have Pam meet you (love that idea!) and fam there waiting for you.

Love those running facts - they are so fun...

Well done ninja master!

Leah said...

Wow. Super Wow!!!! YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!!! Chuck Norris has nothing on you. You are a new woman. Nothing can stop you.

And thank you for posting the lyrics to Reagan's song. It was way beyond her years!!!!! Way too cute. Hilarious.