Tuesday, December 02, 2008

What are your Christmas Traditions??
I ask this, and want a response from those who read this.. I am curious about what others do this time of year. What sort of things do you and your family do?? I love traditions, and have a few we love to do!!! Starting right after Thanksgiving, we become a Christmas only house, meaning music and TV.. Christmas music, on the radio in the car or on cd.. and we watch the ABC family countdown to Christmas shows.. Charlie Brown Christmas, Rodolph the red nose reindeer, a year without a Santa Claus.. you name it .. we got it.. but that's is just to name a few!!


So with that being said, up went the Christmas Decor this last weekend, and I openly admit I LOVE this time of year!!!



We are staying home this Christmas, which is a first.. we have traveled the last few years.. so we opted for the real Douglas fur this year!!! Ready for presents!!!



We have two Nativity scenes.. my friend turned me on to this one (Veggie Tales) a few years ago and I fell in love with Laura the carrot singing oh little town of Bethlehem slightly out of tune


We also enjoy decorating gingerbread houses.. or at least one house, and yes its a store bought kit, I mean really.. I can only do so much!!!
Lastly is our my favorite tradition, it started back in 1993, before I was married, or even thought of kids, my mother gave my brother, my sister, and I a book. You may have seen various forms of the 24 days till Christmas. Its a 3 ring binder with sheet protectors full of stories. Each day is labeled from Dec. 1 - Christmas eve, each day has a Scripture to read about the birth of Jesus Christ, a song (thanks to Cynthia) and then a story to set the mood. Every night in Dec. we read and sing (sometimes) and are reminded of the true meaning of Christmas. Then to add to the excitement of the season, a few years ago my mother in law quilted this fabulous advent calendar to count down, so each night the kids take turns adding ornaments one at time, to help count down till Christmas. This is a tradition we have started and love to do every year. The kids know the stories and take turns reading them, we all love the reminders, and it helps keep us ground when the wants are greater than the needs!!! So there's our traditions , what are yours???






8 comments:

a said...

I love christmas too! I'm trying hard to pull it together for my kids this year.
We do the story/scripture countdown thingy too, we have a little pics we hang up every night too to go with it. We also have candy ribbon countdowns too, where you eat one candy each night. We also have the tradition of opening one present on christmas eve, usually new pjs. That's all I can think of for now, hopefully I can pull it off.

Rebecca said...

you can do it!!! Just think next year there will be two more.. :) We do the PJ thing too.. nothing like mis matched pjs to ruin a post.. or scrapbook page!!!

Amy said...

I just read on a friend's blog that all the kids decorate Gingerbread houses after the Thanksgiving dinner. I think I'll implement that next year. As far as mine go, I pull out the Christmas music as well as plenty of Christmas books. I put all the story books in the living room away and put about 20 Christmas story books out to read all month. I have the advent ones but James is a little young for those just yet. We always spend one night looking at Christmas lights and have attending the local parade since we moved into our house. I'm anxious to read your comments though as I'd like new traditions to start with James and my growing family.

Bex said...

We hang stockings, which jason's family never did and he thought it was the weirdest thing. But he loves it now! We listen to Christmas music, and my favorite Christams CD os the Elf soundtrack. We also watch Elf 16 gazillion times, because.....it's my favorite Christmas movie. We also sit down on Christmas eve and watch the Nativity, so we remember what Christmas is all about. We drive and look at the houses all decorated up, christmas eve's eve, Santan brings Jammies for everyone to wear on Christmas eve. Oh we do a big buffet on Chirstmas eve, that's been Jason's family tradition for forever. And being Canadian, we celebrate Boxing Day and do absolutly nothing. Merry Christmas!!!!!

Bex said...

ok I meant Santa, not Santan, which kinda looks like satan if you just glance at it, and that would really take ot in the wrong direction.

Kristi Clinger said...

Our Christmas starts the day after Thanksgiving. I put all my fall decor away and out comes the Christmas stuff. We listen to music and decorate as much as we can with hot chocolate.
This will be our second year to do this one, but we plan on going to Waxachie again to walk through their live nativity and the whole city. The girls absolutely loved it last year with the youth.
We count down with a nativity advent calendar as well.
We do the pj thing on Christmas eve as well. That's the evening we get together with my parents and siblings. This year we'll be having it at my house. YEAH!(I think)
You can't forget the endless plates of goodies you make for many friends. We make cinnaball trees(a tradition from E's family).

Keri said...

We bake Canadian Sugar Cookies every year. We also open one gift on Christmas Eve (strategically, the new PJ's that my Mom sends EVERY year.) On Christmas Eve, we go for a drive and look at the lights, then come home and drink Hot Chocolate and eat all manner of abominations until our heads ache.

I suppose I should really attempt to incorporate a few more festive traditions to make our Season Complete!

Leah said...

I love your traditions. I should do the daily scripture/story thingy like you guys do!

We have several, but my kids' favorite might be the treasure hunt they do for their last gift. They expect it every year, and we make the clues harder for the older ones.

One tradition we abandonded was the chopping down your own tree thing! It took us an hour to get there and with grumpy kids and a grumpy husband (I was loving it though!) we had to saw and saw and saw the hard to reach trunk in 2 feet of snow. Then we got it home and after the snow melted realized it was a half dead tree! We laugh about it now. So I think we'll do it like once every 5 years.