Wednesday, October 22, 2008


Yes I am that mom...

Okay so when we moved here we bought a house, nestled in a cul da sac, next to a walking trail, a block or so from the kids elementary, middle, and high school. So with the convenience of the trail and then a straight shot you are almost to the schools. We walk, it really just takes to long to drive, and well we are really that close. Now they have to cross a street, its not a major street, but it is the street that you have to take to get into the schools, there is an entrance up the street to the elementary and down the street to the middle school. My point, well that street is a school zone.. starts way beyond on either side, a school zone.. 20 mph school zone. Now we are very fortunate to have a local police officer who helps with traffic control at the elementary school entrance. It gets very backed up, so with that and a crossing guard the elementary kids get across safe and sound.. now one block down... if that.. I mean its really just right down the street is the cross walk from my neighborhood to the middle school, and it appalls me that parents can drop off their kids at the elementary school and go flying like a bat out of well, just going fast, to get to work and not even pay a bit of attention to the kids crossing the street at the middle school. So the past few mornings when Broderick has gone to school I stay and watch him cross the street this woman just kept on driving, didn't even notice he was crossing the street..he kept a safe distance, but it still floors me. So today same situation, same woman.. but this time her window was open.. so I yelled... there are 2 lanes on either side an 3 out of the 4 lanes had stopped and she was just rolling on through.. I yelled.. "hey there is a kid in the cross walk!!" Her eyes bug out of her head in shock.. your in a school zone for crying out loud, and there is a huge sign that stays "cross walk, stop when occupied".. she slammed on her brakes and stopped about 3 car pass the cross walk, nice reflexes.. then the car behind her just keep rolling through as well.. arugh... fortunately they both had their windows open, and I make no apologies for being a mama bear protecting my cub.. I mean really.. you are in a school zone, you just dropped your own kids off and you are not even paying attention to children around you. I am not saying I go the exact speed limit all the time, but you better believe I don't mess around in school zones. Get off the phone, slow down, and pay attention, there are children around.. crazy but true!!

6 comments:

Kristi Clinger said...

That's crazy and scary. Is it a law in Plano that you're not suppose to be on the phone in a school zone? I think people are trying to pass that as a law here.

S said...

Oh but you are a cute mama bear! I had a neighbor who took to throwing baseball bats at speeding cars from the factory at the end of the block. Yeah that was in the day you could do that sorta stuff to scare people! Marshal law!:)))) And the cars didn't dent so easily.....steel baby!

S said...

I meant to say when I was a young young child the neighbor......

Leah said...

You go girl!
Love, a fellow Mother Bear

Jenny P. said...

glad you said something. :) your courage is well, encouraging!

Elder and Sister Struempler said...

So why don't you let us know how you really feel about these people, only this time, don't hold anything back. We know how to handle those kind of people down here in South Georgia. The last you would see of them is the heel marks they left as we dragged their body into the swamp for gator food. Sometimes my daughter makes me soooo proud.