Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A day of firsts:
Broderick loves to skateboard, like father like son perhaps?!! So he saved up money over the winter and bought a really nice board, wheels, trucks, cool grip .. and other stuff I am sure I got wrong. He likes to learn new tricks and I don't mind it, keeps him busy and he enjoys it. Well.. middle school started.. and we are all of one and a half blocks away from the school. Broderick use to ride his board to school last year, but this is not elementary school, and he has a locker. A very small locker. So the story goes like this..
He asked to board to school
I said, what will you do with your skate board
He said, put it in my locker
I said, your locker is too small
He said, I can put it with the bikes
I said, it will get stolen
He said he would measure his board and locker to see if it fits.. end of Tues. morning conversation.

So I thought we were done with this, it is however his board, he earned the money and I have had to learn to let him learn so Today..
He said, can I board to school
I said, what about your locker
He said, I measured it and it fits
I am hesitant because I know what his locker looks like and I can do the math.. it won't fit
but.. its his board.. so go ahead
Off he boards to school..
school gets out at 3:30
3:35 I get a phone call from Broderick's cell
He is sobbing, he can barely speak though the tears, his board was stolen
3:36 My heart broke for him. I am sure this is the first of many times I will shed a tear with my child as he learns the lessons of life. I did not need to lecture him, he had his consequence all ready given to him. I did not need to say I told you so, he knew. He came home and I just held him as he cried, wiped his tears and told him I was sorry. Sorry the world isn't always fair, and sorry he had to learn the hard way.

8 comments:

Bex said...

Oh Man...that sucks! I hate life lessons like that.

Kristi Clinger said...

I'm crying for him. I don't know if I would have let him learn his own lesson. I probably would have been the mean Mom and made keep it at home.
As I hate the outcome that is probably the better way for him to have to learn it.

April said...

Poor Broderick! You are so good to let him learn the hard way. It's also the hard way for us, as moms...

Anonymous said...

AUGH! Does it ever get easier letting your child learn and grow. I'm so sad for Broderick. You are a good mom though, this is what life is like, and he has a good mom willing to let him learn and be there to wipe away tears.

Marissa said...

Awe! That just breaks my heart. But what a great lesson for him... that mom always knows what's best. ;-)

a said...

Dang! Stupid Middle School!!!!!

Amy said...

Poor guy! But, like they said, good for you for letting him learn that. They need that opportunity to grow and figure things out or they'll be too sheltered.

Elder and Sister Struempler said...

I have heard that the skateboard was recovered. Good life lesson with a happy ending. Those are the best kind