Monday, July 28, 2008

SLOW DOWN...



Have you ever seen the episode of Seinfield where George is driving with Elaine out to the country and they are making good timing? I think a different one was driving from the airport, and once again George is obsessed about making good timing. Well, this is me. I think I am trying to be optimistic and in my desire to drive long distances with 3 kids by myself I under estimate the time it will take me. If I print a map on google maps and it says 465 miles.. in 7 hours.. I immediately assume I can do it in 6, maybe 6.5. Now this comes at a cost to all in my car. Now before you start crying a river for my children, you must realize that they have been driving with me their whole life and I have always been this way and will always be this way. I think I have one pee pee incident in the 11 years of travel.. so those are good statistics. I have driven from Utah to Cal.. Cali to Kansas, KS to St. Louis, Indianapolis, Ohio, Down to Texas from Dallas the Gulf Shores of AL and back up North again.. lots and lots of driving. So my point is , we don't drink, we just drive, we don't stop except for gas and only when necessary and we get there as fast as we can...

So I set out last week, with a home renovation project going on in my house.. (new ceilings.. yeah team) for Baton Rouge!! Whooo hoo.. okay, maybe not the vacation destination, but right now it where Clay's work has taken him, temporally.. for those who may question. So we take off to spend a week with him, meet his office staff, the owner of the co. and family, and to just kill time away from our house. We had a GREAT time.. (and made great time 6.5 hours. One 10 min stop to fuel up and pee..) We met Raising Cane's II

Celebrated Clays Birthday thanks to Todd and Gwen..


We went swimming and fishing and looked for Reggie the alligator..




When he didn't show up, we found our own!!!!




Broderick getting eaten by a big ant.. those bugs are big in Louisiana.. fortunately a worm came and saved them all..

We drove down to New Orleans for the day and it would not be complete without some Beignets at Cafe Du Mont..
Yum Yum



Yummy


and more YUM





We even took a horse drawn carriage ride around the French Quarters and learned all about the history of Louisiana!!!


So the time came where we over stayed our welcome with Daddy.. 5 people in a one bedroom apt. is not good for anyone!! We hit the road ready to make better timing. So back to the intro , and to make a long story just as long as ever, I got a speeding ticket. I mean really, 85 in a 70 zone.. whoops there goes the good timing. He threw me off by a good 10 mins. not to mention making me slow down the rest of the trip.. shessh, buzz kill.. Anyway, we got home to this...





The project not quite finished.. and the air conditioning turned off while they paint the ceilings and the outside temp is..


We checked in to the Marriott... Now fortunately they did do a great job.. and our ceilings now look like this..


which is free from the popcorn texture that I so despise!!!



So in an effort to slow down, and not take to much on, I decided that I had to come update this, and I can do this while the kids are unloading all the kitchen cabinets, which are being refinished.. no the projects do not end, but yes they are doing a great job moving everything from the lower cabinets into the dining room.!! So I will take what I can when I can!! And hopefully the blog of home repairs will end soon!!!

2 comments:

Kristi Clinger said...

I love the ceilings. No more popcorn! YIPEE!

Bex said...

MMMMMM......cafe du Mont! Nothing like beignets and hot chocolate to soothe the soul! The ceilings look great, and the rest of the house will follow suit!
Speeding ticket....I'm sure he just had nothing better to do than pull over a family in a SUV. So fif you make it back in 6.5h and 10min?