Sunday, April 13, 2008

What a WILD Week...
It started Tuesday night, from 11 - 3 am.. and I am not kidding, lightening and thunder on and off for 4 hours and I had all 3 kids rotating in and out through out the night. I was so tired on Wednesday and as I went to bed Wednesday night, it was raining and there were various storm warnings from Severe Thunderstorm to Tornado Warnings. I always panic when I see these and mix up the severity factors. So as a little educational system, and for future reference its goes as following from mild to take cover..
Thunderstorm watch -- might happen
Thunderstorm warning -- will happen
Tornado watch -- looks like it could
Tornado warning -- circular wind patterns.. take cover

So there you have it. We went to bed and the Warnings and such were going north of us, that was until 3 am. The lightening and Thunder woke me first, followed by Addison, waking me up that is. It even woke Clay which takes a lot! The sky flashed an eerie shade of green which is never a good sign. We looked out the window and the wind was blowing sideways. Yikes.. I told Addison to go to my bed and Clay started to make sure all the blinds were closed, I headed downstairs to check the computer and boom.. lightening and out went the power! So Clay and I grabbed our emergency bags.. and got our closet under the stairs ready, the neighbors tree fell into the cul da sac, the grill tipped over, the pool furniture fell into the pool .. and we waited for the sirens to go off. Broderick and Reagan stayed asleep and I guess I am glad I didn't have power to turn on the news because we were under a tornado warning and told to get in our safe places.(I would of had to wake Broderick and Reagan).. we never had a tornado touch down, but straight line winds did a lot of damage around here, trees down, and power lines down too. About 20 homes in our neighborhood, ours included, were without power for 2 days. So Clay asked if I posted about the storm.. we didn't have power.. it was dark.. you get the picture!!

It took us a while the first day to figure out how to disengage our electric fence to get our cars out of our drive way, but once we did that, we parked in front and life went on. We survived two days and two nights without power. I moved the freezer stuff after a day to a friends freezer, and lost a few gallons of milk, eggs, etc etc. I did clean out both refrigerators, and they both needed it badly.. so there is a silver lining!! The weather was in the low 70s for both days, so with the windows open the house was comfortable and when it got dark, well.. we went to bed!! We had hot water so baths and such still happened, I wore a hat to make up for the lack of a hair dryer, but all in all we survived. The kids enjoyed the flashlights and candles, it was a little to quite at night, but a 9 p.m. bed time is right up my alley!
Side note: We have a house alarm, and did you know.. that its got a back up supply that only lasts 24 hours.. so at 3 am on Thursday night.. yes this is now 3 nights of interrupted sleep, at 3 am the house alarm starts to chiming letting us know its low on power. As if we can do anything about that.. ahh.. we got it fixed and back to bed.

With cell phones we stayed connected, even plugged in my phone at an ice cream store, and the Dr's. office to keep it from going dead (note to self, get car charger). The kids came home, did homework, went to practices, and played outside and hardly remembered there was no power. Reagan was annoyed that I wouldn't turn on the lights for her to go potty, and mentioned once that we did in fact have a TV, though I told her it didn't work, she survived without power as well! We were restored on Friday and grateful for that!! Thank you for all who called, checked in, and for those who didn't thanks for reading about it!!

4 comments:

S said...

Couldn't you just take one of those orange extension cords over the fence to the HUGE power lines? And hook'em up! Glad you made it! Love a clean fridge!

Bex said...

YAY!!!! You have power.....You must be ba better person than me 'cause I woke up say lightning and went back to sleep. Slept through the whole darn thing. Such a loser. Glad no harm to you or your house, oh and maybe I need some one to call me next time it gets bad, just so I'm aware! That can be you...it's your new job, to make sure I, as a unresponsable storm watcher, am ok.

NOBODY said...

So hey, we didn't have any kind of warnings or watches or anything here, and yet, my house was totally wrecked by a tornado. Mostly just the living room and kitchen.

I'm glad you guys survived it through the storm and not power. That can be terribly inconvenient, can't it?

I'm out of the loop, my mom told me there were storms in Plano. Sorry I didn't call you---I blame my mother for not getting the word to me sooner. :)

a said...

That was a crazy night, and I swear the lightening was green!